So I've had the radio a full year now. Because I bought it for $12.99 in a Surplus Store, I wasn't sure how well it would work. For that reason I didn't want to make a large investment in batteries. It uses 3 D size, so I just stuck in some Dollar Store non-alkaline batteries. Surprisingly, it turned out to be a pretty decent radio.
Because I have too many radios already, I've set a rule for myself that every new radio I get, I have to use it for something. So I decided to make this my bathroom radio. Accept for the three months that it sat unused in our cold house, while we were away last winter, it has been used for about 15 minutes every day. And it's still running on those first Dollar Store batteries.